Monday, April 11, 2011

Review: Etude House Henna Fix Proof 10 Mascara

Working in a casual business environment has made me lazy in my makeup routine. When I am in a hurry but I feel like looking a little more presentable, I choose mascara over eyeliner and blush. Mascara opens up the eyes, doesn't make me look too overdone, and mistakes I make with it are easier to correct. I've been reaching for Etude House's Henna Fix Proof 10 mascara for those times. I've used it so much that I've rubbed out the "Proof" label AND left mascara stains on the tube (see picture). Oops. Time to give this product some love.

Description: Formulated with henna extract, Henna Fix Proof 10 Masara supplies precise lash definition and weightless volume with its unique waterproof formula that won't budge to tears or sebum.

Price, Amount, Availability: Php628 for 10g (0.34 oz), locally available in Etude House stores across the country. The shade I have is #1 Henna Black, but there is also a #2 Henna Brown variant.

Packaging: I admit, the packaging drew me to this out of the many mascaras EH offers. The tube has a very girly, Victorian design, and the hot pink color stuck out in a sea of dark-colored mascara tubes.The henna-like design on the box is really pretty too. If you look for this in Etude House stores you might find it in its 2NE1-themed packaging, with the henna-printed box inside.

Review: One of the reasons I bought this mascara is the wand, yet again. I like trying out different kinds of wands to see what effect they give. The wand is a swirly affair, like so:
I like the wand as it does its job in separating lashes, and there is enough product left in between the bristles that you can wiggle at the base of the eyelashes for a bit more volume, even if you blot it with a tissue before application. It's also small enough to maneuver around the corners of the eyes and along the lower lashes without being too unwieldy.
Hello wonky lower lashes

The formula, #1 Henna Black is a nice dark black, which can clearly be seen with the well-defined look the wand gives. It does make lashes longer, but gives only a little bit of volume. You really have to utilize the wand if you want fuller-looking lashes since the formula by itself won't give you that. However, it doesn't clump as much! Two to three coats will still give you reasonably separated lashes, which can be followed up with a spoolie brush if you're still not comfortable with the overall result. I have also read in some other reviews that the formula doesn't hold a curl for very long, but I put mine on without using a lash curler (I forgot) and it still held after 6-7 hours. Long enough for almost an entire workday.
After 6-7 hours. Tired eye, but still-perky eyelashes.

While I did not notice any smudges--the formula is waterproof--I did see a little flaking towards the end. This could also be because the formula is pretty dry, and it shows: this is my newest mascara and a few other tubes I own look better than this one after a couple of months. This does make the mascara less value for money, and chances are high that you'll find better ones out there for a little less. All in all, I do like this mascara and it's a good one for everyday, but I would advise that if you buy a tube use it until you can't anymore since it dries up quickly.

Have you tried Etude House mascaras? If yes, how did they fare?

15 comments:

  1. i like the packaging but if it won't hold the curl, i may have to think twice about it.

    honest review here, thanks for the heads up~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like my Anna Sui mascara! I haven't tried any EH mascaras yet. Maybe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't tried any Etude House mascaras, but I hate when mascara flakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This actually looks very promising! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kitten, I found that this held my curl but since there are others who have had the opposite experience, it's best to try before you buy :) And thanks!

    Lady E, how is the Anna Sui mascara? I've never tried anything from the brand :)

    Vintage, yes it's pretty annoying to think that your mascara's doing ok only to see bits of it on the lids at the end of the day :(

    Michelle, if you do try it I hope it works as well for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. would you know if its suited for people who wear contact lenses? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ay, di ako sigurado. I guess I should make that a point to know if I want to wear contacts in future, no? :)) Glasses kasi ako since I was 12. But I think I wouldn't recommend this for contacts wearers due to the flaking, baka pumasok sa mata.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Kari...aww ur the very first girl who arrived last sat! U were utterly cute, din't have the chance to talk to you though, everybody was busy na kse haha. followed ur blog alr!:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Charles! Yeah sayang di tayo nakausap! Ang memorable pa naman ng name mo haha :) Yeah, early bird kasi excited ako! Following you back, hope to meet you again during one of these events :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi Kari,

    Lorena here! met you sa party last sat.! nice blog ha! following you now ;) will post the pics soon. san mo post pics mo? hihi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i don't have one.. i'm such a loyal fan of maybelline.. but maybe after i finish that one up, i'll give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loriiiiiiii, hi! Following you back :D post more! Mag-edit and upload ako today, I'll link it pag napost ko na yung entry. Paemail ng pictures!

    Hazel, let me know if it works for you! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kari: di ko agad nakita comment mo, gurl. d ata kaya sa email yung pix e. dami :( pero pede naman i-DL dun sa flickr :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh I am tempted by this mascara - I think the re-released it with the 'aloha' collection but I'm not sure if it's better than this one or not. So far I haven't found that EH mascara's will hold curl on me..doh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Row, so sorry, I only just saw this comment! The mascara released with the aloha collection is the same one, they just added an outer box to make the entire thing more cohesive :) I grew to like this mascara more since this review, too bad it just dries up more quickly than others.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to get feedback. Thanks for your comments. :)