Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Review: Mentholatum LipIce Fruity & Sheer Color

I'm very dependent on lipbalms. My lips crack pretty easily be it rain or shine, and it's not a pretty sight. I always bring one with me wherever I go, especially since I've taken to wearing a lipcolor everyday. Mentholatum came to Philippine shores a few months ago, so read on for my reviews! :)

First up is LipIce Fruity.
Photo credit: Mentholatum
Description (from tube): Lipbalm. Sunscreen Protectant. Cooling, refreshing, relief for dry chapped lips. Apply as needed.

Price & Amount: Php89 for 3.5g

Packaging: Simple white tube packaging that takes some effort to open, which means it's not likely to spread balm all over your things. :) I love the design on the tube, it makes me want to collect them all. Like Pokemon!

Review: This is the proverbial "wind beneath my wings". I slick on a layer of this as part of my skincare routine and by the time I'm ready to put on a lipstick, it's settled nicely on my lips. It applies clear, with a cooling effect that is nice and not too harsh. It doesn't feel thick or heavy but it moisturizes pretty well and keeps it that way for several hours. This also has SPF15.


I think I'd go so far as to call this my HG lipbalm! No need to look for another, which is admittedly harder than it looks. It comes in 5 variants: Apple (blue), Grape Blackcurrant (purple), Strawberry (pink), Lemon (yellow), and Orange Mandarin (orange). I'm thinking of trying the orange and purple ones next. :)

I also picked up a second one to try, LipIce Sheer Color. I read reviews of this online and was curious about the color-changing part.
Photo credit: Mentholatum
Description:
  • Changes color to a natural sheer pink according to individual lips.
  • A gentle Beeswax formulation suitable even for very sensitive skin.
  • Contains natural ingredients of Shea Butter Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia Nut Oil, Jojoba Oil and Aloe Extract to keep lips moisturized, smooth and healthy.
  • Contains effective anti-oxidants of Vitamin E to soften and protect lips against the harmful environment. 

Price & Amount: Php145 for 2.0g

Packaging: Slim pink and silver lipstick tube. Very cute and easy to tote around!

Review: If LipIce Fruity is the "wind beneath my wings", LipIce Sheer Color is the "lady-in-waiting". Sometimes I forget to bring a lipstick, or my lips are in just too bad a condition. Sheer Color looks similar to LipIce Fruity in that it's a white stick of balm, but it adjusts to a nice pink color depending on the lips of the wearer. It saves me the trouble of worrying about how my lips look after a long day, which I normally would do when I use lipstick. I'm assured of a bright, glossy pink that lasts 'til I eat--it stays put through drinking--which I don't mind because it's super easy to reapply.

I picked the Strawberry variant but there's also a fragrance-free option. The Strawberry one smells like Fruit By The Foot, a candy that I love to this day. :D And just look at that color:


Highly recommended, yes? Yes!

17 comments:

  1. I'd have to agree, I use the lip ice sheer color ever since this came out. I use this is as a re touch right after meals on a date. It's my HG lip balm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty color!

    I want to try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kitten, aga mo magising ah! ;) I agree, it's good for touch ups especially when you're in a hurry. :)

    Vintage Makeup, thanks! Hope you do get to try these. :) I'm not sure if they're available in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitten is a vampire, that's why.

    I have the Lip Ice Sheer and yes, it's wonderful. I also have the other lip balms but I haven't opened them yet. Must be because of the hoarding phase, right Kitten dear?

    By the way Kari, your blog is lovely. I discovered it through Kitten's blog. I will now add you to my blog roll on my sidebar. I like the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady E, that could explain some things. ;) Hehe! I'm afraid of accumulating lipbalms. Before I used to have a lot of them, but now I'm afraid I might run out. And thank you so much for the compliment! *blush*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm the only person in the world who has yet to purchase a LipIce lip balm. :-/

    I use Nivea Fruity Shine which doesn't really moisturize much. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Michelle: I agree with the Nivea thing

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Kari: yes, maaga talaga ako magising kasi i'm awake at night. hahaha

    @Lady e: hahaha, yes I'm friends with Edward and his fam, just tell me if you'd like to meet them okay? we always party at night! wahahahahaha.


    I think Lady E has a gigantic bulk of lippies, you hoard like crazy! hahaha.

    We're all looking forward for that

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle, mura lang naman! Bili ka na! *enables you* Hehe :D Maybe you can use the Nivea one at night instead, or for when you're at home and you can easily reapply. :)

    Kitten, ahh kaya pala. I schedule my posts for 6am, tamang tama pala mababasa mo agad. Haha!

    Lady E, pictures of your collection please? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My lips do crack easily as well. This blog post has been of great help! I'll follow you for reference. =) May I ask, however, where did you purchase these? Thanks!

    Keep the reviews up! Worth reading!

    Afianne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Afianne, thank you! These can be found in Watsons stores across the Metro. There are also two or three other kinds of Mentholatum lip balms/glosses, so just take your pick. :) Hope you find them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:09 PM

    Hi,

    I'm actually using Nivea Fruity Shine. At first I found it good, but now, it doesn't really does the job of moisturizing and the tint doesn't do justice. Then I read some reviews about Lip Ice products. Including yours. I want to know now, is Lip Ice better than Nivea? Especially in the moisturizing aspects?

    Thank you for this blog by the way. Hope to hear your response. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anonymous! I haven't actually tried using Nivea Fruity Shine unfortunately, so I can't say if it's better or not. I can attest to Lip Ice's moisturizing power, though, because even after a few hours my lips still look & feel good, still relatively smooth. I find that lipbalms that have really waxy bases (like Nivea, I think) moisturize well at first but start to feel like a rough, sticky mess after an hour or so. I think the closest equivalent to the Fruity Shine would be their Lip Ice Color Lip Balm (looks like the Sheer Color one reviewed above, but in white packaging).

    Thanks so much for delurking and leaving a comment. I hope you get to read this soon, and that it helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:35 PM

    Hi again,

    I asked you a few days ago for comparisons of Nivea and LipIce. I just purchased the Fruity balm and Sheer Color. And here is what I think:

    I love them! The fruity balm is so refreshing and it healed my chapped lips instantly.
    As for the Sheer Color, it is so incredible. It gave me a pink color that was just right for my skin tone.
    Finally, for the moisturizing power: two-thumbs-up! Long lasting!!! I found the perfect moisturizing balm for me.

    Sorry for the long feedback. I just wanted to share my thoughts on this wonderful product. It is the best lip purchase for dry and chapped lips.

    Thank you so much for your review and tip. God bless and more power. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi again Anonymous, yay! I'm glad you love them! The Sheer Color is really great, it adjusts according to your skin chemistry so no matter who tries it they get nice healthy pink lips. Thank you for sharing your feedback too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the Mandarin Orange one, and I agree that these balms are good! I still prefer Carmex tho, because the mintiness of that brand is much stronger. (Haha I like my lip balms with a bit of sting... masochist? XD) Have you tried Carmex balms? :D

    Also, I found the "wind beneath my wings" and "lady in waiting" lines really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  17. im having hard time finding that lip balm in watson and other sm dept store coz my lips is kinda sensitive and reacts immediately if im using other lip balm, so lip ice is the only one compatible to my lips. any stores you know aside from watson that i can find the lip ice.. thanks much if you response.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to get feedback. Thanks for your comments. :)